Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Public Service Announcement


Go save the world.
Plug in a fluorescent light bulb.

"The single greatest source of greenhouse gases in the United States is power plants--half our electricity comes from coal plants. One bulb swapped out: enough electricity saved to turn off two entire power plants--or skip building the next two."

I read this a couple months ago and was blown away. We can do something really easy and make a big difference? Sounds good to me! Since then I have been replacing our old light bulbs with the new energy efficient ones. It takes a little while to get used to the light they produce but I have to say I like it better now, it's brighter. I emailed this article to people I knew, I might as well put it up on blog and reach a few more.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger weigook saram said...

We use those. Maybe it will cancel out some of my other environmental sins, like using too many paper towels.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

That's exactly the way I look at it. It's hard to give up your car and ride the bus. It's so easy to change a light bulb. That's why everyone should be doing it!

12:35 PM  
Blogger OhTheJoys said...

My husband does energy policy work and so we have to use these in our house so he can walk his talk so to speak. Still, I wish they would improve the overall quality of the light they give off. I don't want to feel like I'm in a school cafeteria in my own home, you know?

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought of you and this post last night after my hubby bought these to replace the burned out ones in our kitchen... made me wonder if he's just being 'fiscally conservative' or 'environmentally progressive' or he's found out who my internet 'imaginary' friends are! :-D

2:53 PM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

We have the same...
And you are right it does take getting used to...
And I can never a room with a light on if it is not occupied... Drives me bonkers...

9:21 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

any/everything we can do.

totally.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

oh, p.s. I am *diggin* the new header.

xoxo

1:01 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I think I heard about these light bulbs on Oprah. I went out and spent about fifty dollars on light bulbs that very day. ;)

11:57 AM  
Blogger John said...

Just make sure you don't throw them in the trash. They contain mercury (like thermostats) and need to be recycled.

They are better for the envirnment, but the mfgrs have neglected to mention the mercury in any overt way.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Thanks for the info John. I did not know that!

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home