Wednesday, February 07, 2007

My Opinion
(for what it's worth)
(which isn't much)

The Oscars are at the end of this month and as usual I have not seen most of the nominated movies. (since they haven't come out for rental yet.)
At the top of my list to see is The Queen, The Departed and The King of Scotland.


The only Oscar nominated film I have seen is Pans Labyrinth.
The Critics have said...
"Amazing" "Spectacular" "Transcendent work of art".
Yep, it's all those things. Go see it.

Which brings me to a movie that Jim and I saw last year. It wasn't nominated for any Oscars but really should of been. The Proposition. It's a dark, gritty, anti-hero movie set in the "wild west" days of Australia. Guy Pierce and Emily Watson star in it and Nick Cave wrote it and did the soundtrack. Yes, that Nick Cave.
I would definitely recommend it.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Maulleigh said...

All right! Get off my back about Pan's Labyrinth!!!

I was lucky enough to see THE QUEEN on a flight from SF and it was the second best flight I've ever been on (second only to the one that showed Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon).

My friend had an advanced copy of the Departed so we watched it. Good: but it's no goodfellas or taxi driver.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

I wonder if Scorsese will finally take home the director Oscar, even if it's not as good as his past work.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I have yet to see any of the Oscar-nominated movies. On the rare occasion when we have a babysitter, we usually go out to dinner. I miss going to the movies, though. I will check out Pan's Labyrinth.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is Nick Cave?

4:15 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Oh, you HAAAVVE to see Little Miss Sunshine. UGH. So. GOOD. AND? It's on rental. :)

10:41 PM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

I will try and rent it...

9:09 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I make it a point to see every movie that features Emily Watson, *and* the same goes for Guy Pierce. So I'm freaking out.

And then you go and mention that Nick Cave had his hands all over the film.

could someone please pass me a cigarette? (and this before I've even seen it.)

Marcie, thank you for being my gateway to cool.

p.s. Catherine is SO TOTALLY speaking truth re: LMS. the pathos is un-toppable. and the finale - oh, sweet jesus. Marcie, you will dig.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

wait. I think you've seen LMS already. Didn't you post about it right after it was released? that was you, right?

jesus. my memory blows.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

I forgot about Little Miss Sunshine! I haven't seen it yet, but it's already at the video store. I think I will rent it this weekend. Thanks Catherine and Debbie for reminding me :)

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Oscar tradition usually involves uninterrupted viewing while eating Chinese food that someone bought for me. I'm hoping for the same this year.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's funny...
i meant to recommend "pan's labyrinth" to you... but i thought maybe your little ones would get scared. but yeah, it was great!!!
i've been meaning to check out "the proposition."
i got the soundtrack
i love nick cave.... and his violinist is amazing.
it would have been great to see him perform a song on the oscars.... too bad.

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home