Thursday, March 09, 2006

Things I Love Thursday


This is a thing I love. In and of itself it's not that special. It's a 36 year old bottle of Coke from Taiwan. Actually, it's the story behind it that makes it one of the things I love. And doesn't a story always make something better?
My step-father was in the Navy in 1970. He had been in school at SLU and dropped out. In the late 60's early 70's, if you were a young man not attending university, your butt was going to end up drafted and in the jungles of Vietnam. Tim knew this and enlisted in the Navy (less chance of getting shot.) One time they docked in Taipei and had a two day liberty. While Tim was there he bought a six-pack of Coke, drank five of them and saved one of them. I saw it sitting on a shelf for most of my childhood. This bottle of Coke had a history.
When they decided to move to Florida, Tim gave it to me knowing how much I had always liked it. And here it is on my shelf, 36 years later.
Check out Things I Love Thursday on Flickr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home