Thursday, June 01, 2006

Some People Want to Fill the World With Silly Love Songs. What's Wrong With That?


There has been a lot of posting about celebrity snark recently. I'm all for it most of the time, it's the byproduct of our celebrity culture. Brad & Jen, Katie & "Nutjob" Cruise and Brittany's spawn are constantly on the cover of every checkout stand magazine, so I find it hard to believe we are expected not to form any opinions. That being said, I think the media are being really unfair when it comes to the Paul McCartney-Heather Mills divorce. I've read various stories in the press lately and they all sound unbelievable and even a bit sexist. There seems to be a recuring theme in all of them.
1. Paul was a fool to not have a pre-nup
2. Heather Mills is a gold digger
3. She's going to take off with half of his fortune.


First of all I'm respecting the guy for the pre-nup decision. Not only is a pre-nup unromantic it's so cynical. When many of his contemporaries were trading in the old blonde for the new model (Rod Stewart anyone?), Paul was in love with one woman for thirty years until her death from cancer. I'm not naive and I know divorce happens (I've been there done that), and when money and contempt are involved things can and do get nasty. But why live your life preparing for something like that? Sounds depressing to me.
Another thing, Heather Mills is no Anna Nicole Smith. She's an amputee who turned her misfortune into a philanthropic mission to outfit mine accident survivors with prosthetic limbs. All of this was done long before she had ever met Sir Paul McCartney. When calling her a gold digger they're calling him a sucker.
And the deal with the money? Maybe he wants to give her half of his gazillion dollars? He would still have half a gazillion left. She's the mother of his child and maybe he respects that.

In my humble and uninformed opinion I don't believe there has been anything in his past to warrant this kind of smear. I don't know Paul McCartney ( I saw him in concert once, does that count?) I guess they could both be flaming assholes who deserve the bad press, but I doubt it. Everything I've ever heard or read about the man conveys a picture of a good person. People need to lay off.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Maulleigh said...

Yeah, he strikes me as a really great guy: I don't know her. All I know is that she and Stella didn't get along all that well, but I don't know how well I'd get along with my dead mother's replacement, nomesayin'?

11:10 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

This was a GREAT post! I love how you express your opinions, Marcie. I swear I live under a rock... I didn't even know they were breaking up!!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I didn't know they were breaking up either. But then again, I didn't even know they were together (*gasp*). I guess I'm living under a rock under the rock that Catherine is under.

But anyhow, I agree about the pre-nup thing. He must have loved HER more than money when he married her. I don't think I would marry a man who wanted a pre-nup.

12:56 AM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

*clapping*
Well said. I am not sure why people want to believe the worst. I suppose it sells more papers/magazines, whatever. I imagine a divorce is quite painful no matter who you are...even those celebrities.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I agree completely. Just leave them alone. How could anyone diss a BEATLE and a humanitarian like Heather. I am sad they are breaking up and I thought it was very romantic not to have a pre-nup.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I couldn't have said it better, man. You totally nailed it. :)

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home