Thursday, May 11, 2006

I Did My Part

When a baby is born everyone likes to play the game "Who does she/he look like?" Looking for the familiar signs of your features and heritage can be an entertaining pastime.
Genes are a funny thing. There was a couple up the street who had fraternal twins. The Mother was from South America and had dark skin and dark hair and the Dad was red headed and had fair skin with freckles. Their twins? One was a carbon copy of Mom the other an exact match of his Dad. It was like there was no mixing of the genes at all.

My son Billy doesn't look like me, he looks more like his Daddy. When I've been out with him alone people have asked if he was adopted. The weird thing is that he looks more than a quarter Korean, it's more like half. Usually by the time your down to just a quarter most of the Korean traits are very subtle. Case in point is our Daughter Ruby. If you know she's part Korean you can see it. If you didn't? You would have no idea. I've seen many quarter Korean kids and that seems to be common. But not Billy.
I have my theory on why he looks so Asian. He got the extra push from my gene pool. I have Norwegian heritage in my family and if you have ever seen Northern Europeans you will notice they sometimes have Asian features in their eyes and bone structure. Here is a picture of my great Aunt Bonnie.











When it comes to Ruby people don't think she looks like Jim. I wonder if that's because she doesn't have strong Korean features like her brother.
Ruby does look like me. But here is proof that Jim did his part too.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger weigook saram said...

You know, it's amazing how much your son looks like his dad. You're right, your Aunt Bonnie looks Asian.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget you are 1/16 Cherokee also. That helped a lot too.

Mom

1:52 PM  
Blogger noncommon said...

put it in the bowl and mix it all up! it comes out yummy every time!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Maulleigh said...

Cute kids; unfortunately, I'm the spitting image of my goofy-looking dad. *sigh*

5:12 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

Your son does look like his dad.
My husband is 100% Italian. My oldest and youngest are dark skinned, dark hair, and dark eyes...nothing like me! Our middle one is blonde with green eyes. She looks nothing like him, and more like me. Genes are a curious thing.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Mom on the Run said...

WOW! Those pictures are so cool and very interesting side by side! My oldest daughter has some of my latina features, buy my youngest looks like a little Scottish girl! Gets it from her Dad!

1:31 AM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Wow I love the pictures! Your children are completely gorgeous.

I love the gene pool guessing game. Especially the wondering part before they are born.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Something Blue- You're so sweet, thank you:)

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your son's facial shape resembles yours more, and your daughter's facial shape resembles your husband's more. They're both very cute.

~just a passerby, though I happen to be Korean-Am dating a Welsh-Am

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home