Monday, May 01, 2006

Silly me.....I forgot where I was.

I live in a red state. In the heart of bible belt country. These facts had never been so real to me as they were tonight. During chemistry class tonight my teacher said that when she HAD to teach evolution she reminded her students that there were other theories out there. WTF! I was shocked! So there goes my respect for the science teacher. A SCIENCE TEACHER for god sakes! Then here comes my big mistake, I had to open my mouth.
I have developed a semi-friendship with the woman who sits next to me. We have studied together and talked on the phone a few times. I turned to her and said that it sounds like our teacher was a bible beater. This is how the conversation went:
Her-"What do you mean?"
Me- "When she HAD to teach evolution?"
Her- "I think if they teach evolution they should also teach creationism."
Me-"Shouldn't that be taught in church?"
Her-"No, it should be taught in school along with evolution"
Me-"It has no basis in science."
Her-"Evolution hasn't been proven so why is it taught in school?"
Me-"It's a scientific theory supported by scientific facts"
Her-"Well it's only fair to teach creationism too"
Me-"Well then we need to teach the hindu, muslim and buddhist creation stories too."
Her- (in a snotty tone) "They probably will."
At that point I said that we should quit talking about it and she had a pissed off look on her face.

I feel so foolish for thinking that everyone feels the way I do. I will be polite to this person when I see her again but anything else will be impossible for me. I cannot be friends with someone who has that kind of short sighted view of the world. Maybe that is short sighted of me but I can't help it. I also know that arguing about isn't going to change anyone's mind and that I never should of said anything about it in the first place. As I was driving home from class tonight I felt sick to my stomach. This shit is for real. These people are for real.

And if they ever start teaching creationism in public school?
I'm pulling my kids out.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger noncommon said...

breath deep my level headed friend. my new favorite word is befuddled. wanna borrow it?

12:06 AM  
Blogger noncommon said...

p.s. i left a couple of new comments on your last post. :)

12:13 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Wow. I could write about 6 paragraphs in response to your post echoing everything you said. The indignation about equally sharing all religious philosophies makes me crazy (that is if ANY have a place in a SCIENCE classroom)

There are lots of opportunities for children to learn about their own faith's alternative belief that challenges evolution. A school in a science curriculum is not it, in my opinion.

6:08 AM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

Marci,
I could not agree with you more. Religious beliefs and teachings do not belong in the science classroom. There are so many religious beliefs out there. To narrow it down to a certain Christian belief system is shortsighted.
I have very good friends who do not send their children to the public school because they teach evolution and not creationism. You know what? That is fine....they are sending their kids to a Christian school. That is an appropriate choice.
I'm all for religious tolorance and I respect others beliefs...I just wouldn't want it pushed on me in that setting either.

7:27 AM  
Blogger weigook saram said...

Wow, I can't believe a college professor would say that. That's terrible!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

I don't think she has a Ph.D. that's why I call her a teacher and not a professor. If that makes a difference.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marcie,

You must feel better about the on-line support you've received. Mom

3:46 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Yes Mom, I know most of the people who visit my blog are liberal and would get it. I'm not anti-christian at all. I just believe there is a place for religion and it's not in our schools. When you mix church and state you get countries like Iran. Don't these people get that?

4:22 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Oh my goodness. I hate it when I meet someone and I think we're going to be good friends and then we find out we have this big difference of opinion on something and it doesn't seem like we're that alike after all.

I'm on your side with this one. I'm Catholic and all, but I believe in evolution and that it should be taught in school. Creationism belongs in religion class.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Great post, Marcie! I'm surrounded by a bunch of self-proclaimed Christian conservatives at my place of employment. Frustration and anger are as much a part of my day as blinking and swallowing. But every day, I'm trying to get more zenlike about it because there's enough gray hairs and wrinkles to be had just from worrying about my children... and these people just aren't worth my getting more.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Mommy off the record- I attended Catholic school and they didn't teach the creation story in science. The taught it in theology. Maybe it was more of a liberal catholic school, but that's still saying something.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

At my school they also taught the creation story in religion/theology class.

P.S. Now that I know you're a fellow liberal AND a Catholic, you're going on my blogroll. Fo sure. :)

11:17 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

If I saw Creationism on a class list I would have assumed it was an art class.

Seriously, I completely concur with your thoughts.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

If in doubt, I point and yell "RACIST!" and run from the room. That always unsettles them.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Tupelo Honey said...

boy marcie...this one got me...I think I'm gonna expand on my blog later this morning...this brings up some things that have come up in my english classes lately.

...given that we went to the same HS - and now the same college, might be worth comparing notes!

but I agree with Cameo - full body breathing...=)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Mama Nabi said...

I went to a super backwards Christian boarding school and they taught creationism along with evolution - for my extra-credit project, I reconciled the both by the environment being 'created' by higher power and then the single cells evolving into various species... but I only did it for that A+! Back then, I was pretty darn sure there was no higher power. Anyway, hope this eases your fears -

3:08 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

what a bummer. I hate having to ditch potential friends b/c of the ridiculous theological divide. or worse, pretend that we don't not have that in common, and lamely tip-toe around it in conversation. it's super-frustrating. gleah.

p.s. I have wanted to comment on almost every post on your front page. maybe it's time I go do something productive, like take a shower, while the lil mister is asleep and I can? hmmm. I'll ponder that as I read another 50,000 blog posts.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

lildb-I know exactly what you mean. I find myself on the computer more than I need to be, but there is just too much good stuff to read and I'm addicted

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get me started. I have the idiot commander-in-chief's 'lil bro running my state. Need I say more?

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home