Sunday, March 26, 2006

Once upon a time there was good country music

"They're gonna put me in the movies. They're gonna make a big star out of me. We'll make a film about a man that's sad and lonely. And all I have to do is act naturally." Act Naturally-Buck Owens


I've had too many posts about music lately, but I felt like saying something about Buck Owens since he passed away this weekend. He's probably best remembered for Hee-Haw in the 70's, but he shouldn't be. He did a lot more than that. He was a great musician and songwriter and very respected in country music. He sang with Dwight Yoakum and Emmylou Harris, played at the Filmore and even the Beatles covered a song of his. And how about the shout out CCR gave him, "A dinosaur Victrola listening to Buck Owens. Doo, doo, doo, Lookin' out my back door."
Good ol' Buck, good example of being so unhip....... you end up being hip.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger noncommon said...

then maybe there's hope for us (being tragically un-hip and all). my heart sank when i heard about good ol' Buck! whip out the 45's. you wanna come over and listen to my Hee-Haw album?

10:39 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I'd forgotten about good ol' Buck. (I watched Hee-Haw religiously as a kid.) I'm embarassed to say that I had no idea his resume was so full!

I really do miss the 70s. Nowadays, everyone takes themselves so seriously. You can't find anything campy on TV anymore... except maybe the Iron Chef, and Japan's version at that.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

Hey! I'm listening to my Rhapsody acct. right now, surfing different music. Just keyed in Buck Owens... Aw, how cool! What a neat tune for office cleaning! ;)

Sorry to hear that he passed away. How nice that he left a legacy of good music, though.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Barry Wallace said...

Ah, Buck. He was great on Hee Haw - I never really much of the other things he did. Probably too bad... We'll miss him.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found you via your comment at my place and I'm so happy I did! I've read just the first several of your entries and man alive, it's nice to find someone new who is diverse and funny and makes me wanna keep coming back!

And I *know* you're kewl, 'cause Buck Owens is the BEST. I'm still in Sydney right now, and hadn't heard about him, though ... now I'm sad. I'd always meant to get to his birthday bash at the Continental Club in Austin (where I live), and see the legend play live. Drat.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Thank you Julia, I'm flattered. I've been reading your blog for awhile, so I already know your kewl:) Have fun in Australia (I'm sooo jealous!)

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home