Friday, June 02, 2006

Hairdo is a Big Don't


I really had no intention of being such a prolific blogger this week. Then I ripped off Thursday's quote of the day and read this one and I had to post one more time. This quote sums up everything bad about the worst haircut I ever had.
It happened almost two years ago and my hair is just now recovering from the trauma. I had one stylist for awhile and I loved the way he cut my hair. Then he quit. I was lost and had know idea where to go. I had read about a new salon that had opened up near my house so I called and made an appointment. They were expensive so I thought there was a good chance they knew what they were doing ( I know, I know, really dumb reasoning). I went in and told the girl I wanted a trim. I guess that sounded like "Do what you like" or maybe she heard "Just fuck it all up". All I know is that I walked out of there looking like Joyce DeWitt. I had a freaking hairdo!
I cried about my hair to my husband to which he remarked he never knew I was so vain. But it really wasn't vanity, it was feeling like I was walking around looking like someone I wasn't. I am not a put together girl. My style is more jeans and a Led Zepplin t-shirt than a pants suit from Casual Corner. This hair cut was definitely a pantsuit type style. Oh god, and the time it would take for me to have to style it! Complete torture.
I started growing it out immediately and that was very difficult to do. When you have 3 inch layers growing out from the top of your head you have to constantly have the back of your hair trimmed out of fear of growing a mullet. 8 months later with my hair not looking much different I decided to cut it all off.
That was a little over a year ago and my hair is starting to feel long again. I can put it in a blessed ponytail again but the best part is not looking like a 70's sitcom star anymore.


My hairdo look. I guess I could of laid off the black eyeliner if I wanted to look less like Miss DeWitt.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger noncommon said...

oh, i remember that. the pain.

but you know you always look beautiful. regardless of your hair.

i know, i know, there's nothing like a good ol' ponytail.

the whole hairstyle thing is sooooo susie.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Maulleigh said...

I go to chinatown to get my hair cut and after a lot of shouting and pointing, I emerge looking like a teenage boy. I go home, cry, then the next day I wake up and style it myself and it looks okay. I'd totally shave my head if it wouldn't kill my mother.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Joyce Dewitt. Now I am going to be singing the "Three's company" them song all day long.

I had the same thing happen. Hairdresser left. Went to the most expensive place I could find (because I thought you get what you pay for) and I came out looking like a 12 year old boy who cut his own hair. It was DREADFUL. That was 8 years ago and my husband and I still talk about it...

I am a pony-tail kinda girl too :)

10:12 AM  
Blogger weigook saram said...

Ha! You do look a little like Joyce Dewitt there. But cuter.

Yes, a ponytail covers a multitude of sins.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Cameo- That was the same time you had your haircut issues, huh.

Maulleigh- I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to cry over a bad haircut.

Sunshine Scribe- Sounds like you had the exact same experience. I don't think I'll ever forget it either.

Weigook Saram- Yep, ponytails are a very good thing. Thanks for telling me I looked cuter than Joyce. She kind of scares me.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I had a similar bad haircut experience when I was younger. The hairdresser gave me those type of layers you are talking about where the top one is only like an inch long. It took FOREVER to grow it out.

But I must say that your hair looks really cute right now!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

What are you TALKING about?! Dewitt-do or no Dewitt-do, that is a good picture! Then again, you're one of THOSE people... the kind that doesn't know how to take a bad picture. I know this is true because I've seen the evidence.

And while I don't have a special button to extend to you, I'd like to nominate you for the funniest first-Friday-of-the-month post. :)

2:49 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

OK Marcie, you may call me crazy, but I think it looks cute on you! You STILL look great! Of course, I think you could probably carry off alot of styles, including being bald! :)

4:09 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Mommy off the record- Those short layers drive you crazy. It feels like they will never grow.

Catherine and Domesticator- Thanks for the compliments. I guess you guys know what your talking about being two gorgeous girls yourselves.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude...I've had so many bad haircuts I can't even count them.

But you actually look kind of cute in that picture. I'ts never as bad as you imagine it to be :)

4:50 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Izzy- Oh yeah it was pretty bad. That pic was just a lucky shot I guess. I'm just glad it's all in the past

5:16 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

omigod pantsuit from Casual Corner. dude I seriously spilled my beer I laughed so hard. I mean, I *really* spilled it - I was flapping my hands around, laughing, and I knocked it over.

Niiiiice.

Also, despite what you may choose to believe, you look hottt in that pic. seriously! (I'm a sucker for flashback stuff, *especially* the seventies.)

12:51 AM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Oh I feel your pain.

My hair grows fast so I usually feel the freedom of letting the hairdresser go crazy. I asked for a short haircut similar to one that I previously had with a photo to demonstrate. I walked all the way home from the salon with tears running down my face. It reminded me of the time at I let my aunt cut and then perm my hair in my awkward teenage phase. Nasty!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Tupelo Honey said...

oh man Marcie...I am SO sorry! but I agree, you are MUCH prettier than Joyce DeWitt!...and at least you don't voluntarily put your hair in two antler knobs like crissy did!

and darlin' you are one of the most put together people I know!

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marcie, you look so cute in that pic. Really. I wouldn't want the haircut either, because it looks like a major pain in the ass to style (hell, any haircut that requires "styling" is too much work for me), but you do not look like Janet.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, that should be "your"
i guess we ALL make mistakes.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home